What is Hinge?
Hinge is a dating app that aims to provide a more meaningful and authentic dating experience. With its slogan “Designed to be deleted” it is no wonder that the focus is real matchmaking. In fact, unlike other dating apps that focus solely on swiping through profiles, Hinge requires users to fill out a detailed profile with prompts and questions that allow them to showcase their personality and interests. The app then uses this information to match users with potential partners who share similar values and interests.
How does Hinge differ from other dating apps?
Hinge also offers various features such as video prompts, icebreakers, and personalized conversation suggestions to help users start and maintain conversations with their matches. This context proves invaluable in making matches.
How does Hinge work?
Hinge operates on a swiping model similar to other popular dating apps like Tinder, but with a few unique features. Instead of swiping on every profile, Hinge prompts users to like or comment on specific parts of a user’s profile, such as a photo or a prompt answer. If two users mutually like or comment on each other’s profiles, they are matched and can start chatting within the app. Hinge also limits the number of matches a user can receive per day, with the idea of encouraging more thoughtful interactions. Additionally, Hinge allows users to set preferences for their matches based on age, location, religion, and other factors.
Is Hinge free to use?
Yes Hinge is free to use. There is a Premium version which enables one to get more out of the Hinge experience.
Who owns Hinge?
Hinge is owned by the Match Group. A publicly traded portfolio company owning a number of apps in the dating space. Tinder is also owned by Match Group. Match Group trades on the Nasdaq under MTCH.
Apps like Hinge
Hinge tends to be more focused on a higher quality end user. Unlike Tinder, which is a mass market product, Hinge focuses on highly concentrated group of people. In essence, it is quality over quantity. Here are some other dating apps which have a similar focus:
- Bumble: A women-centric app, which as a similar mindset to Hinge in terms of their demographic focus
- Coffee Meets Bagel: This app curates one match a day for users based on mutual interests and preferences, and emphasizes meaningful connections.
- OkCupid: This app uses a detailed questionnaire to match users based on their answers, with a focus on personality and compatibility.
- The League: This app is more exclusive, targeting career-oriented individuals in major cities and using a vetting process to approve new users.
- Zoosk: This app uses a behavioral matchmaking algorithm to learn about users’ preferences and connect them with compatible matches.
- Happn: This app uses location-based technology to connect users with people they have crossed paths with in real life, adding an element of serendipity to online dating.